Welcome to another edition of Privacy Notes.
Data protection is almost alien to the Nigerian society. Data subjects are, mostly, oblivious of their personal data rights and Data Controllers/Administrators are numb to their corresponding duty to protect and/or respect the privacy of personal data entrusted in their hands. Ultimately, there seems or seemed to be a deafening complicit silence or absence of regulators in this field.
Up until the emergence of negligible few civil societies which recently made data privacy and protection their core concerns, Nigerians have never really bordered about whatever happened to their data so long their other economic/physical rights remained undisturbed. Consequently, the introduction of the Nigerian Data Protection Regulation (NDPR) by the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) on 25th January 2019 signalled the gradual institutionalisation of a culture of data privacy and protection in Nigeria.The NDPR makes provisions for the enforcement of the data privacy of natural persons with implementation mechanism for such enforcement as provided in Section 4.0 till 4.3.
iDAP® is an application created by Taxtech which serves as a means for the quick execution of the implementation mechanism stipulated in the regulation which includes but not limited to the following:
- data protection compliance audits as required by the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA).
- Uploading of questionnaire for audit compliance to be filled by the data controller
- Automated report once the questionnaires have been filled with recommendation
- Where there is breach by a Data Controller, if enables the Data Subject to seek redress.
- It allows electronic filing of audit reports by Data Protection Compliance Organisation (DPCOs) while giving NITDA real-time access to the submitted reports.
With the use of iDAP®, it helps Data Controllers and Data Administrators build and demonstrate compliance to the NDPR. IDAP also intends to ease the use of the NDPR Implementation Framework published by NITDA.
To use iDAP® to get your organisation compliant with the NDPR, kindly reach out to us via email@example.com.